Are you excited to finish high school and study at a university in Paris next year? Are you on a scholarship to play soccer for Michigan State University? Regardless of your scenario, you are lucky to be one of the few who receive this type of opportunity. To learn, study, explore and travel to a new country along the way is sure to be an enriching experience.
Protecting yourself in case of a medical emergency is probably the last thing on your mind, and we can understand why! It is important to know that most schools require you to have a medical insurance plan before you begin your classes, and OHIP coverage is limited outside your province of residence.
The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care recommends that you purchase additional health insurance when you leave Canada. To maintain OHIP coverage, you can travel outside Canada for 212 days in a one-year period. For coverage for a longer period of time, you must be studying, working or doing charity work outside Canada.
Why Blue Cross for students?
- Optional deductibles on emergency medical care costs. Where possible, we arrange payment directly with the hospital.
- A BlueCross BlueShield® Association partner - the largest medical network in the United States. We also partner with assistance service providers worldwide.
- Travel assistance available 24/7 for any emergency, anywhere you travel
- Our assistance services also include free health-related advice from health professionals, legal advice, and assistance with passports and urgent communication with your family if necessary.
Options available for students
Your options vary depending on where you travel. If you know you will return home once a month, an annual 31- or 60-day plan may be the best option for you. If you will be away for more than six months at a time, a single-trip plan may be best option. For more information, contact us today.
|Medical only||Annual medical||Package Plus||Annual Package Plus|
|Duration of coverage||Up to 365 days||Available for 17, 31, 60, 90, 120, 150 or 180 days||Up to 365 days||Available for 17, 31, 60, 90, 120, 150 or 180 days|
|Emergency medical care|
|Medical follow-up in Canada|
All plans include:
- $5,000,000 for emergency medical care per trip
- Hospitalization fees
- Professional fees for nurses, physicians and other health care professionals for emergency medical treatment
- Up to $2,000 for emergency dental treatment as a result of an accident
- Emergency repatriation, when necessary and based on the medical condition of the insured, subject to approval by the travel assistance medical team and the attending physician at the destination
- Return of your travelling companion and/or family members covered by the same policy
- Up to $3,000 for accommodation and meals if your return is delayed due to a medical emergency