Travel claims

Yes. OHIP covers some of the fees for medical care you receive during your trip. Blue Cross reimburses these fees in full, but you must submit the claim forms to OHIP as well. That’s why a claim form is essential, even if you didn’t make any payments.

The form must be

  • Duly completed and signed

  • Accompanied by supporting documents

  • Sent by mail to the address indicated on the form; only your original signature will be accepted (no photocopies, email or fax)

IMPORTANT: Failure to return the completed form shall authorize Blue Cross to request that you reimburse the fees that fees paid on your behalf.

If more than one insured person received medical care abroad, you must complete one form per person and

  • Provide all of the information required, including information regarding a second insurer, if applicable

  • Use a separate sheet of paper if there is not enough space on the form

  • Sign the form in the spots marked with an X

  • Include the signature of the policyholder if the claim relates to an insured person under the age of majority

Click here to download a claim form for your medical expenses.

In addition to your claim form, you must attach any other relevant document(s) given to you by the consulting physician or the hospital (medical reports, lab results, etc.).

Please note:

  • Invoices for the medical care received must indicate the diagnosis and treatment.

  • Original invoices for other expenses must be detailed.

  • Accepted forms of proof of payment are a credit card statement or bank statement, and it must indicate the currency in which the service was paid.

  • If a statement is not available, a transaction receipt may be accepted.

To meet the requirements of the provincial plans, only original supporting documents are accepted. Make copies of all documentation for your files.

Work-related accident

If your claim relates to a work-related accident, please submit a claim to your province’s workplace health and safety board first.

Traffic accident

If your claim relates to a traffic accident and your province’s auto insurance is administered by a government program, you must first open a claim file with this program.

Need help?
For questions regarding your claim, do not hesitate to
contact our claims service department.