Why travellers prefer Blue Cross
- Canada's #1 travel insurance brand and recognized worldwide
- Over 80 years of expertise in insurance
- $5 million travel insurance coverage, with or without deductible
- Flexible and affordable travel insurance solutions
- Free quote available online
- Travel assistance available 24/7 for any emergency, anywhere you travel
About South Walton
South Walton is located on the northern part of Florida, on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. It is known for its beaches and coastal properties that stretch on for more than 40 km, and is popular among snowbirds and travellers alike for its natural beauty, turquoise water and white sand beaches. In 2013, it was voted as one of the Best Beaches on Earth for families by Travel + Leisure.
Why travel here
This beach destination is off the beaten path and nowhere near popular vacation spots, providing snowbirds who travel to South Walton with a beautiful yet peaceful beach destination to call home for the winter. The communities along the coast offer endless things to explore at your leisure. Its tight-knit communities, excellent shopping, dining, local art and beautiful landscapes make it a great location for snowbirds and for family vacations.
Accommodation and transportation options
The area has everything from quaint cottages, bed and breakfasts, condos and townhomes to full-size luxury resorts. The area is also known for having a large second-home market, so you should have no trouble finding a vacation rental. Snowbirds planning to drive here have five RV parks and campgrounds to choose from.
One of the most attractive features of =South Walton is that it has 16 distinct beach neighbourhoods. Each is visually different, with its own events and festivals.
The neighbourhoods include Sandestin, Seascape, Miramar Beach, Dune Allen, Gulf Place, Santa Rosa Beach, Blue Mountain, Grayton Beach, WaterColor, Seaside, Seagrove, WaterSound, Seacrest, Alys Beach, Rosemary Beach and Inlet Beach.
If you are planning to fly down, there are two airports that are both just over 30 km from South Walton: Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport and Northwest Florida Regional Airport.
Things to do
- Arts and culture: South Walton is unique in that it is known for its natural beauty as well as its creative culture, and this is reflected in each of its communities. From local art exhibits to workshops, festivals, theatre and live music, you will enjoy everything the locals have to offer.
- Beaches: There are beaches galore along the coastline. Some of the most popular in the area include Dune Allen Beach, Grayton Beach, Sandestin, WaterColor Beach, Miramar Beach, Seaside Beach, Seagrove Beach, Alys Beach and Rosemary Beach.
- Hiking and biking: The area has more than 320 km of biking and hiking trails to explore. In fact, 40% of the area is preserved land, giving you an “ecosploring” haven to make your own during your stay.
- Sports and adventure: Whether you want to try your hand at deep sea fishing, go to the golf course for a round or two, play some tennis, dive into some water sports or take a bike ride along the coast, there is lots to do.
- Dining and shopping: From fresh local seafood to cuisine from around the world, there is lots of great food to eat. If you are up for some shopping and pampering, there are countless boutiques and world-class spas.
When to visit
The best time of the year to visit is at the beginning and end of the snowbird season. October, April and May are regarded as the best months to visit the Florida panhandle, when temperatures are in the mid 20s. January and February are the coolest months, with the temperature hovering around 15°C, and March is busy with spring break visitors.
Travel Insurance for South Walton Vacations
If you are planning to travel to South Walton this winter, or anytime of the year, making travel insurance part of your trip planning is important. You never know when you could require emergency medical care or travel assistance. Blue Cross snowbird travel insurance plans provide you with the comprehensive coverage you need to travel worry free.
Learn more about South Walton by visiting www.visitsouthwalton.com.