Stuffing your luggage is not only inconvenient; nowadays, it will also cost you. Many airlines are becoming stricter about overweight baggage charges and have limits for carry-on bags, and travellers who fail to follow baggage regulations could easily rack up a few hundred dollars in charges for travelling with a heavy suitcase.
The trouble is that many of us have trouble packing light. We want to make sure we have all the comforts of home when we travel. We also have a tendency to pack items just in case we might need them.
Do we really need three pairs of sunglasses? Four pairs of shoes? Multiple bathing suits? Or all of the toiletries from our medicine cabinet? Probably not, but many of us bring them anyway.
Packing large suitcases and travelling with multiple bags can also be a nuisance. Who wants to drag around all those bags through the airport, into taxis and hotels, and then back again? The more you travel with, the more likely you are to lose something or leave it behind.
How to lighten your load while travelling
To make the transition to travelling with less and packing light, it’s important to put things into the proper context. “To pack light, you must be willing to live with less. If that notion makes you uncomfortable, remember it’s only temporary; consider it a vacation from your possessions,” says Deborah L Jacobs in Forbes.
Here are some simple ways to help you pack light:
- Think twice: Before you place something in your suitcase, ask yourself, “Do I really need this item?” While your answer will depend on the nature of your trip, it will help you scrutinize your packing habits and ensure you pack lighter than you might have otherwise.
- Wear your heaviest clothes in transit: Packing lightly is not only about what you put in your suitcase, it’s also about what you wear. Wear your heaviest clothing items to reduce your bag’s weight. Consider layering clothing to create more space in your bag.
- Plan your outfits in advance: Everyone likes to have clothing options. But rather than taking your options with you, choose your outfits in advance. This will help you pack less. You don’t need to bring all of your options with you.
- Cut down on the toiletries: Grooming products and accessories take up a lot of space, and they can be heavy. Avoid bringing things that you probably won’t use, put things in travel-sized packages and focus on packing the essentials only.
- Weigh your bag: Once you have everything packed, it’s a good idea to weigh your bags to make sure you are not over the limit. This will save you from paying additional baggage fees at the airport and give you the chance to take out items while you are still at home.
One thing that you should never forget to pack is your travel insurance policy. Travel insurance provides you with access to travel assistance and gives you the peace of mind in knowing you are covered if you experience travel issues. Get a quote for travel insurance coverage online.