Why people choose a travel destination can vary greatly. Some people travel for the adventure, food, culture or history, and others choose trips based on the nightlife.
You may be asking yourself, “Who chooses a trip based on the nightlife?” There are more such people than you may think.
Criteria for choosing a nightlife travel destination
Mark Manson says in CNN that in general, a good nightlife destination is based the following criteria:
- Hours: How late are the popular spots open? How many nights of the week is the nightlife booming?
- People: Does the area draw a good crowd of people? Are they friendly? Do they have a good vibe? Is everyone looking to have a good time?
- Music: Does the scene have good music? Do they draw popular artists? Is there a good variety of music to choose from?
- Overall experience: Does the destination create a memorable experience? Is it a place you will want to tell your friends about? Will it make you want to visit again?
Top nightlife spots in North America
The good news for Canadians looking for a good nightlife spot is that there are plenty of great cities to visit in Canada and the United States. Here are the top spots to visit in North America:
- New Orleans: Bourbon Street has one of the liveliest and entertaining atmospheres in the world. It’s known for its bar scene, unique neighbourhoods, live music and interesting locals. It also has boutique hotels, great Southern food and lots of opportunities to party, especially if you choose to visit during Mardi Gras.
- Las Vegas: The Las Vegas strip is the king of party scenes. There is always something going on, no matter what time it is. Whether you want to try your luck at some gambling, take in a show, party on Fremont Street or try to rub shoulders with celebrities and athletes at the clubs, you will have no trouble finding people to party with. You are also not too far from Los Angeles.
- New York: The city that never sleeps is known for its diverse neighbourhoods, each with its own unique nightlife scene. Whether you plan to dance the night away, check out a Broadway show or mingle in one of the city’s upscale establishments, there is something to do every day of the week.
- Toronto: Much like the city itself, Toronto’s nightlife scene is known for its diversity. Your options only start with checking out a club, seeing a live band play at a small venue, going to a large concert or enjoying a craft beer at a hole-in-the-wall pub.
- Montreal: Montreal’s European atmosphere and culture, unique bar scene and international festivals make it a great place to experience something completely different within Canada.
Other North American cities worth considering include Miami, Austin, Texas, Los Angeles and Vancouver.
International nightlife travel destinations
If you want to venture a little farther from home to experience nightlife in a different culture and country, consider travelling to one of these international cities:
- Bangkok, Thailand: One of the most notorious nightlife scenes in the world, Bangkok has a reputation for its after-hours spots, upscale bars and just about anything you can think of.
- Amsterdam, Netherlands: Known for its liberal lifestyle, the city is perhaps best known for its red-light-district.
- Paris, France: When you’re in Paris, be sure to visit Moulin Rouge and Club Silencio.
- London, England: The city has something for everyone: boutique bars, comedy clubs, pubs and upscale cocktail spots.
- Tokyo, Japan: The city’s international feel is reflected in its nightlife. From traditional kabuki shows, live music and Western-style bars, there is something for everyone.
- Barcelona, Spain: Considering the club scene doesn’t get going until 1 am, this is the place to go if you want to dance the night away.
Other cities worth considering include Rio de Janeiro, Berlin, Stockholm, Ibiza, Rome and Hong Kong.
Whether you are planning to party for a few days or a few weeks, having dependable travel insurance will allow you to party worry-free. Make travel insurance part of your nightlife vacation trip planning.