Giving the gift of a Christmas holiday is something the entire family will enjoy. By the time the holidays roll around, most people are ready for a break from the cold weather. What better way to recharge before the new year than to take a holiday trip?
Five booking tips to save money and simplify travel during the holidays
Before you get ahead of yourself and start packing your bags, it’s important that you be proactive about how you book your trip to ensure you get a good deal, reasonable travel times and can book the vacation you want.
Here are five important booking tips you can use to your advantage when you plan your holiday getaway:
- Book early: Booking early has its advantages. In addition to getting the flight times and hotel you want, it can also help you save money on the total cost of your trip. Waiting for a last-minute deal could come back to bite you during the holidays.
- Avoid travelling on peak travel dates: If you want to simplify your trip and make it less stressful, try to travel on days that are less busy. This could also reduce the odds of travel delays and other issues.
- Shop around online: There is no shortage of travel websites to consider. Spend some time shopping and comparing your options. No two travel sites offer the same pricing, travel options and accommodations.
- Book direct flights: Travelling during the holidays is one of the busiest times of the year to travel. For this reason, seriously consider booking direct flights. Although they may cost a little extra, direct flights will reduce your travel time and save you the stress of having to worry about delays, missed connections and lost luggage.
- Get travel insurance: Travel insurance is worth its weight in gold during the holiday season. With the combination of winter weather, crammed airports, travel delays and flu season, travel insurance can come in handy.
Where to go on your Christmas vacation
Here are four of the most popular holiday destinations worth considering:
Florida is by far one of the most popular travel destinations for Canadians. With plenty of beaches and cities to visit, it’s the perfect destination for a family vacation. Oh, and there is this place called Disney World. It might be worth checking out!
New York City
One of the best times of the year to visit New York is during the holidays. From the amazing holiday window displays at retailers like Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s and Saks Fifth Avenue, to holiday theatre on Broadway and the FAO Schwarz toy store, it’s a great place to visit around Christmas. Add to this a skating trip in Central Park and sticking around to watch the ball drop in Times Square on New Year’s, and this will be a very memorable trip.
Want to spend Christmas on the beach this year? The Bahamas is the perfect beachfront destination to consider. With winter temperatures being about 24°C and many amazing resorts to choose from, it’s a relaxing place to spend the holidays.
Want to see Santa on a surfboard? Head to Hawaii to enjoy the holidays. Let’s be honest, Hawaii is amazing any time of the year, but it’s also a great place for a family Christmas vacation. When you wake up to the sunshine on Christmas Day, take a sip of your Kona coffee and head to the beach for some surfing, you will know you picked the right trip.
Are you planning a holiday getaway this year? Where are you going? Do you plan on purchasing a travel insurance policy for your trip?