Why travellers prefer Blue Cross
- Canada's #1 travel insurance brand and recognized worldwide
- Over 80 years of expertise in insurance
- $5 million travel insurance coverage, with or without deductible
- Flexible and affordable travel insurance solutions
- Free quote available online
- Travel assistance available 24/7 for any emergency, anywhere you travel
Choosing the type of vacation you want can be fun, but it can also be time-consuming. Do you want to take a typical beach vacation or do you want to try something new?
One path that is less commonly travelled is walking tours. Walking tours are a unique vacation experience. They allow you to slow things down and experience places in a new way, up-close and personal.
Why go on a walking tour?
There are many great reasons to consider going on a walking tour, including:
- It’s probably something completely new and unique to you
- It’s perfect for hikers and fitness enthusiasts
- It’s a great way to stay in shape while on vacation
- It’s perfect for people of all ages
- It can be a few hours, a few days or a week – you choose
- It’s an ideal option for solo travellers, couples or groups
- It can be done almost anywhere in the world
- You can choose from pre-planned tours or create your own tour
Guided or self-guided?
There are two main types of walking tours to consider: guided and self-guided. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, and choosing one is a matter of personal preference.
The main benefit of guided tours is that you have a guide to educate you about the places you are visiting. You will also have the opportunity to meet new people in your tour group and discuss various elements of the tour. Plus, you won’t get lost!
The benefit of self-guided tours is they allow you to sightsee at your own pace. If there is something you find interesting along the way, you can spend extra time there. If there is something you are not interested in, you can skip it completely. How you execute the tour is completely up to you.
Five of the best walking tours around the world
- Quebec City, Quebec: Quebec City is one of the best areas in Canada to plan a walking tour. Established in 1608, it’s one of the oldest cities in North America, and it is the only city north of Mexico to have fortified city walls surrounding a historic town. With the St. Lawrence River, Montmorency Falls, Hôtel de Glace (an ice hotel) and a number of ski resorts and festivals year-round, there is no shortage of things to do and places to visit.
- Glacier National Park, United States: Located in the state of Montana, Glacier is the perfect walking tour location for hikers seeking a remote area to tour. The park is filled with beautiful lakes, waterfalls, cliffs, mountains and wildlife. Known for its walking tours, pre-planned tours are available in various lengths, depending on the type of challenge you are seeking.
- Normandy, France: Experience the northern coast of historic France. The region is rich in art, history and culture, not to mention memorable ocean views. Experience medieval cathedrals, castles, towering cliffs, wineries, seaside trails and small towns, and even visit the famous beach and region of D-Day.
- Talamanca Range, Costa Rica/Panama: If you are looking for a walking tour full of adventure that is a bit off the beaten path, this location provides all this and more. A World Heritage site that is often called the most biologically intense place on Earth, you will experience everything from cool cloud forests, coastal rainforests, waterfall and jungle trails, and breathtaking coastal views of the ocean.
- Cinque Terre, Italy: Experience the true beauty Italy has to offer in Cinque Terre. On this tour, you will make your way through countless fishing villages, trek along the Mediterranean coast and discover footpaths that will take you to some of the best local wineries and restaurants serving authentic Italian cuisine.
Don’t forget your travel insurance!
Whether you are planning a walking tour somewhere in Canada or anywhere else in the world, put your right foot forward with Blue Cross travel insurance. We offer travel insurance solutions for all travellers and have the best coverage for a worry-free trip.