Why travellers prefer Blue Cross
- Canada's #1 travel insurance brand and recognized worldwide
- Over 75 years of expertise in insurance
- $5 million travel insurance coverage, with or without deductible
- Flexible and affordable travel insurance solutions
- Free quote available online
- Travel assistance available 24/7 for any emergency, anywhere you travel
Physiotherapy is an effective form of health care that can help people with many health conditions. Whether you need rehabilitation from a knee injury, have chronic back pain or want to manage pain for conditions such as diabetes or heart disease, a physiotherapist can help.
According to the Ontario Physiotherapy Association, “physiotherapy offers a range of specialized services of benefit to patients with heart and lung disease, traumatic, workplace and athletic injuries, amputations, arthritic joints, stroke, brain injury, spinal cord and nerve injury, cancer and pre- and postsurgical needs.”
Physiotherapists help people restore and maintain physical functionality that allows an independent life, even with physical limitations.
What to expect on your first visit
On your first visit, the physiotherapist will assess your current health condition and examine your medical history in detail. They will assess your fit for therapeutic treatments to create a therapy plan that meets your specific needs. You will then work with your therapist over a period of time to improve your condition.
Benefits of physiotherapy
There are many benefits to seeing a physiotherapist as part of your recovery from an injury or to manage a chronic condition. Benefits include:
- Minimized or eliminated pain: This is the main reason why most people see a physiotherapist. This form of treatment can help you minimize or even completely eliminate nagging pains. The overall goal of physiotherapy is to help you become pain-free and healthy again.
- Personalized care: No two patients are treated the same. All physiotherapy plans are based on your specific needs.
- Increased functionality: Physiotherapy is not just for people with injuries and health conditions. It’s also highly effective for people with common aches and pains who want to increase functionality and flexibility to keep fit and active.
- Confidence in your body: Physical injuries and health conditions often cause people to lose self-confidence. If you have an ankle injury, you may not have the confidence to run like you did before the injury. Physiotherapy can help you strengthen both your body and your mind to restore your confidence in your ability to function properly.
- Pain management: Depending on your condition, you may be looking for a form of treatment to help you manage chronic pain. Physiotherapists offer a range of treatments that can help minimize your level of pain and help you cope with it.
- Reduced need for medication: Rather than relying solely on medication to manage a condition, physiotherapy is a medication-free alternative to help you manage your health and overcome your condition.
- Restored activity level after injury: Injuries happen, but it’s how you deal with them afterward that will help you recover quickly and effectively. Physiotherapy helps you restore your functionality, strength and flexibility in a way that reduces the odds of your injury or condition from occurring again.
- Improved sleep: Dealing with pain not only impacts your quality of life during the day, it also affects your ability to sleep at night. Reducing your level of pain helps you sleep better at night, which allows your body to rest and recover.
Are you covered?
You may or may not be eligible for physiotherapy coverage under OHIP. Learn more about your eligibility for physiotherapy services on the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care website. If you require physiotherapy and have a Blue Cross health care plan, you’ll be happy to hear that physiotherapy coverage is included in your plan.