Basic Health Benefits
The Basic Blue Choice plan is available to those 74 years of age or under.
If you are not covered by a company health plan, Basic Blue Choice can be invaluable. With low monthly rates for comprehensive coverage, Basic Blue Choice is the simplest cost-effective answer. It offers coverage for ambulance services, nursing care, prescription drugs, dental care and even out-of-province travel benefits, and with the addition of the ever-so-important hospital benefit you'll enjoy even further financial protection.
Benefits are based on a yearly schedule commencing from the effective date of your policy. Coverage is for residents of Ontario only. Limitations may apply, see contract for details.
Blue Cross Assistance Program
We are pleased to provide our clients with the Blue Cross Assistance Program. This new program includes Health Consulting and Support Services, Information and Prevention Services, and Partner privileges and discounts.
When you enroll in a health plan from Ontario Blue Cross, you automatically have access to these services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Our staff will provide you with:
- Access to a Registered Nurse to answer your questions and provide advice and guidance on your health related questions
- Home Support Services following a hospital stay
- Referrals to specialists and health organizations in your area
- and much more
Blue Cross Assistance offers exclusive benefits with our health care partners and as part of this essential program, you also have access to quality services at discounted rates through Ontario Blue Cross partnerships.
Upon enrollment, all customers will receive a booklet detailing the benefits of this exciting new program along with an Assistance Program card. Simply present your card, and enjoy quality products and services at a preferred rate.
Blue Cross Assistance. Another unique and valuable feature added to your health care plan.
Extended Health Benefits
- $100,000 overall lifetime maximum for extended health benefits.
- Accidental Dental - up to $2,000 per calendar year -reimbursed at 100%
For the following benefits payments are reimbursed at 80%, up to specified maximum. Amounts refer to each covered person:
- Hearing Aids (3 month waiting period) - up to $300 every 5 calendar years
- Orthopaedic shoes up to $200 per calendar year
- Medical Equipment
- Nursing Care and Assistive Devices
- year 1 & 2 up to $500
- year 3 up to $1,500
- year 4 and after, up to $2,500 per calendar year
- Ambulance Services
Registered Therapists and Specialists
Costs and number of appointments vary for visits to a psychologist, speech therapist, massage therapist, chiropodist, podiatrist, naturopath, physiotherapist, osteopath and chiropractor.
(Benefit payments reimbursed at 100%, up to specified maximum. Amounts refer to each covered person.)
|Specialist||Each Visit||Max. Number|
Benefits payable only after the yearly maximum allowed under the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) has been reached.
A written recommendation from a physician is required for massage therapy.
Annual Travel Insurance*
Enjoy a 15-day annual travel plan with all Basic Blue Choice Benefit Plans
Our plan provides emergency medical coverage while travelling outside the province and includes:
- Benefits paid at 100%
- An unlimited number of trips per year
- Emergency hospital and medical expenses
- Worldwide Assistance Service
- No deductibles
- Emergency financial assistance
- Up to $5 million in coverage
- Available Top-up coverage
* This benefit is subject to exclusions relating to pre-existing conditions.
Prescription Drug Coverage - Available only up to age 64.
- No deductible
- Ontario Blue Cross pays 70%
- Pay Direct Drug Card
- Up to $500 per year
- No lifetime maximum
- 70% coverage for basic or major dentals services
- $245 per person per year maximum
- No deductible
- 9 month recall exams
Accidental Death and Loss of Use
Maximum payable amount:
- $25,000 per applicant
- $25,000 per spouse
- $5,000 per child
24-Hour Toll-Free Health Assistance Hotline
Hospital Benefit (optional)
Available to those 74 years of age or under.
Basic Blue Choice with Optional Hospital Coverage includes the benefits listed above and includes:
Choose this option for your customized Basic Blue Choice Health Care Plan.
Remember, you can add to or change the option included in your plan, at any time, according to your needs.*
- $200 per day
- 90 days per year maximum
- Semi-private/private room
Benefits are not paid for hospitalization due to pregnancy or pregnancy-related conditions during the first eight-months following the effective date of coverage.
*This benefit is subject to exclusions relating to pre-existing conditions.