At Blue Cross we take great pride in our achievements. We have come a long way since 1941, developing innovative products and services to meet the ever-changing needs of our customers.
- The Ontario Hospital Association borrows $15,000 to start the Blue Cross plan for hospital care.
- The Blue Cross plan for hospital care enrolment reaches 500,000.
- The Blue Cross plan for hospital care enrolment reaches 1 million.
- The Blue Cross plan for hospital care enrolment reaches 2 million.
- The Government of Ontario launches the Ontario Hospital Insurance Plan and 600 Blue Cross employees are transferred to the Ontario Hospital Services Commission (now OHIP). The Ontario Hospital Association keeps Ontario Blue Cross in operation to provide the public with supplementary benefits that are not included in the government plan.
- Ontario Blue Cross introduces an extended health care plan.
- Ontario Blue Cross introduces a prescription drug plan.
- Ontario Blue Cross introduces a health plan for immigrants to Canada.
- Ontario Blue Cross introduces a dental plan.
- Ontario Blue Cross introduces a health plan for visitors to Canada.
Ontario Blue Cross begins selling life and disability products on behalf of the Blue Cross Life Insurance Company of Canada.
The Plus 55 plan is introduced, designed for individuals 55 years of age and older.
An employee assistance plan is introduced for larger group clients.
- Ontario Blue Cross/Ontario Hospital Association officially opens Blue Wave Child Care Centre.
Non-insured health benefits programs for prescription drugs implemented in Ontario and Saskatchewan.
Purchase of Health Assistance for Travellers Inc. (Pay-Med).
Florida Blue Cross/Blue Shield alliance enhances preferred provider networks.
LifeLine product introduced.
Blue Cross adopts a Recovery and Revitalization Plan to allow Ontario Blue Cross to achieve its vision and mission in an increasingly competitive environment.
The Board of Directors adopts a new Charter of Board of Governance to create a more effective and efficient Board structure and organization.
Value Care and Deluxe travel products are introduced.
The Blue Cross business portfolio is sold to Liberty Mutual Insurance.
Ontario Blue Cross started by Blue Cross Life.
- Ontario Blue Cross launches the Blue Choice health care plan.
- Ontario Blue Cross launches the group critical illness product LifeLink.
Ontario Blue Cross purchased by Blue Cross Canassurance Group.
The Summertime Blue travel plan is introduced and useblue.com is launched.
- Ontario Blue Cross introduces the Basic Blue Choice health care plan.
- Ontario Blue Cross introduces the Blue Vision line of products, sold exclusively through brokers and consultants.
Ontario Blue Cross launches the Blue Choice Balance health care plan.
- Blue Advantage discount program is launched across Canada.
- Ontario Blue Cross develops a mobile travel assistance app.